[TowerTalk] Mobile antenna installataion guide

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mobile antenna installataion guide
From: CQK8DO@aol.com (CQK8DO@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:35:11 EST
As I see the strength of the SGC antenna system it reduces the losses between
the matching network and the feedpoint of the antenna... This may not seem
like a big deal, but with antenna efficiencies in the 1% - 3% range, any
improvements are noticeable... The other thing is that the outside of the case
increases the capacity coupling to the body of the vehicle...
Given that many hams don't do a good job of matching and grounding of their
mobile antennas the SGC system, with its automatic matching on the fly, is a
winner... It is also extremely user friendly... But, put it against a properly
installed full size (by mobile standards) mobile antenna, I doubt that it will
generate as much field strength...  Look into past articles on mobile antenna
range contests and you will see that a base fed, loaded, at the 60% point,
with capacity hat, such as a modified Texas bug catcher will out play a
smaller system by 20 dB...

Denny