[TowerTalk] Aircom+

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aircom+
From: richard@prolynx.com (Richard Williams)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:47:54 -0600
Alberto,

I used aircom + for a long time on this end.  The only thing I don't like
about it is the air core and it is fairly easy to water in the line.  I have
been replacing all of it with Times Microwave LMR-600 on my long runs.  At
30 Mhz it has a atten. of
.421db/100ft.    For the final run to the beam from the tower I use about 15
or so feet of RG-213 around the rotor to the beam.  You could also use
LMR400, as it is about the same stuff.    My 10 mtr beam is on a US Tower
MA550 rotating tower and I am still feeding it with Aircom.  As long as I
take the bottom connector off every once in awhile and drain the water out
of the coax it works fine.  I have a piece of LMR600 that I am going to
replace that with very soon.  A friend of mine uses LMR 500 but his runs are
not as long as mine.  A couple of my runs are over 300ft to the top of the
tower and I would not use anything less than LMR 600.  If I could have
afforded it I would have used LMR 900 on that run.

Good luck

Dick  K8ZTT
Franktown CO