[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 10:00:28 -0700
Glad you asked. I apologize for not filling in
the details. Not that I'm "playing games," but
at the time I had no time to complete the post
and figured a few words of advice were better
than none.

Coke breeze is the by-product of burning coke,
which many electric utilities use. While there are
probably other sources (check with your local
electric utility), the one source I am aware of is
Christenson Brothers in Utah. I forgot the city, but
it's a suburb of Salt Lake City. Someone at PolyPhaser
may be able to provide that information. They do have
an 800 # if my memory serves, so you may want to try
the 800 info # (800-555-1212).

Anywuz, Flour Daniel did some extensive tests of the
various conductivity enhancers on the market and
ascertained that coke breeze provided the most bang
for the buck. The method is to dig a trench, line it with
the conductivity enhancer, place the radials [and ground
rods] in the trench, cover with the rest of the enhancer
and finish with earth over the trench and compress as
much as possible.

Hope this helps.

73,
Bob AA0CY