[TowerTalk] Mounting in the tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mounting in the tower
From: notawc@juno.com (notawc@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 10:38:42 -0400

On Fri, 7 May 1999 06:46:43 -0500 (CDT) Shane Dugas <shane@eatel.net>
writes:

> Well this is kinda weird.  I just came in from the shop where I just
> realized that that the as25g doesn't fit inside a regular section of
> tower.
> So NOW I get this message.<G>  I'm trying to do something very
> similar. I
> have a BA25g that I'm trying to use on the top of my tower.  What I
> would
> like to do is put a bearing on top to hold the entire load and
> another
> bearing about 3-4 ft down into the tower.  The second shelf on the
> BA25G is
> to close to the top shelf to use for anything so I was just going to
> pass
> through it.  I have plenty of rotor shelf plates to use for the
> second
> temporary bearing and another for the rotor.  I guess the question
> is.........Is is safe to cut out bracing.  Is this normal practice.
> I was
> under the assumption that it was fairly easy to mount something
> inside a
> regular section of tower.  If its not...why hasn't rohn addressed
> this
> problem?  It just seems that cutting the braces off just ain't the
> right
> thing to do.  It may be common practice for all I know.  Anyway
> that's my
> setup.  If anyone has any better ideas I sure would appreciate it.
> I've
> gone through great lengths ( and a lot of money) to set this tower
> up to
> Rohn's specs.  I sure would hate to start cutting corners now.

I have been on many towers that have the 2nd thrust bearing mounted on a
redrilled AS25G and installed in the normal shelf position. While not
ideal spacing it still does a good job of keeping Tailtwisters running,
even with 20' mast and stacked monobanders.
Also noticed that one diagonal brace has to be cut in order to mount the
Tailtwister at the bottom of the top section. The answer has been that
with the guy station mounted at the rotator level the tower is minimally
compromised. Seems to be OK since no one has had a failure ( some
installations over 15+ years old) but I sure "aint no engineer".
Norm>
> BTW Gary,  how much of the plate did you actually have to cut off?
>

> Someone educate me please.
>

> KK5LC
> Shane Dugas
> Prairieville, LA
> Shane@eatel.net
>

> --
> FAQ on WWW:
> http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]