[TowerTalk] Force12 C-3 and Omni-VI+ Static Build-up

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force12 C-3 and Omni-VI+ Static Build-up
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:35:54 EDT
In a message dated 99-06-10 23:17:30 EDT, W7TS@ibm.net writes:

> I have been disconnecting the antenna feedline whenever I am not using the
>  radio.  One day a couple week ago I forgot and didn't get home in time to
>  prevent damage to the radio. When I got home and did disconnect the
feedline,
>  gave me a fairly surprising shock. I was able to draw an arc nearly 1/2
inch
>  long between the center conductor and my shack ground system.
>
>  I am going to install a relay to automatically ground the antenna when the
> power
>  is off on the radio.  Does any one have any other ideas.( Besides buy a
> Yeasu.)
>  I was thinking that could ground the non driven elements to the boom
either
> by
>  removing the plastic insulators or using a braid.  Could I ground the
driven
>  elements with some type of RF choke? I do use 1500 watts a times.  Thanks
in
>  advance for any ideas and suggestions.

      Why not do the right thing by putting a lightning arrestor like a
Polyphaser at the point where the coax enters the shack connected to a couple
of ground rods? It's not a lightning protection *system* but it should
protect your radio frontend from these static buildups.

      This is probably the easiest option as well since it's at ground level
and you don't have to fool with the antenna.

      Champion Radio Products carries ham-related Polyphaser products.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
http://www.championradio.com