[TowerTalk] 40M Beam Interaction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40M Beam Interaction
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:11:11 -0700

I posted this a few days back.  But I don't remember seeing it on
the reflector.  I didn't get a delivery falure message either...

Anyhow, here goes again.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 15:19:52 -0700
From: Eric Gustafson <n7cl@mmsi.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40M Beam Interaction

Hi TTians,

I'm sorry to have to say this because nobody wants to hear it
but...

While changes in SWR are an indication that there _is_ some
interaction going on, these changes are _not_ the important
consideration.  The important (IMHO) consideration is "What does
the interaction do to the pattern of both antennas?".  Ask
yourself "Why do I want to have a beam in the first place?".

By the time that interaction is severe enough to produce an
observable SWR change, the point at which the pattern(s) _may_
have been severely degraded has been long since passed.  On the
other hand, as long as the pattern(s) are holding up, and the SWR
is still below 2:1, do you really need to care that the SWR
changed?

In the past, the only good way to verify whether the interaction
was detrimental was to put the antennas up and then verify (at
least the gross aspects of) the pattern.  Nowadays, as long as
the antennas aren't linearly loaded or trapped, you might be able
to save a lot of climbing and fiddling around by using a good
modeling program and feeding it a reasonable semblance of the
installation.  In fact, if the situation is "modelable" you might
even consider making adjustments to the affected antenna
(usually the smaller one) to compensate for the proximity of the
other skyhook.  Then, you could stack them at nearly any
separation that you liked.

Anyhow, don't just rely on the SWR to determine if there has been
a degrading interaction.  At least check the F/B ratio to make
sure that the beams have retained their directivity (they still
"point").

73, Eric  N7CL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>