R: [TowerTalk] Yagis and Receive Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: R: [TowerTalk] Yagis and Receive Strength
From: Maurizio Panicara" <i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:01:01 +0200
Hi Rich,

if you feel like an alligator, then your antenna system is definitely
efficient, but an efficient antenna system is not always the best possible
one in term of S/N. (i.e. a beverage is unefficient but has good S/N)
Although relative S/N and reception can be antenna dependent, the main
limit is mostly set by peculiar features of a site that can be inherently
noisy or quiete, independently by antenna setup.
If something can be done at receiving site improving F/B and F/S,
narrowing the lobe and selecting it on the vertical plane, most of the times
the real core of the problem is anyway at the other end, and it's so big in
term of poor efficiency that whatever antenna or array you arranged to
minimize local noise and select best angle of arrival, the correspondant
signal will remain even below band noise.
The average people (those ones replying to an N5 or I4 calls) infact use
less power you have and often marginally efficient antennas like most of
the cheap strange objects advertized (and sold) as excellent performers.
(Hams are prone to believe in miracle antennas even if they are heavy and
expensive, but definitelly there is a preference for cheap and small ones)
Even a good multielement yagi can be a very unefficient radiator at some
angles when the owner didn't keep the right height from ground. In the high
part of the HF spectrum, infact, were extremely low angles are typical, this
losses can easily be 10 to 30 dB higher than in your stack, and in a such
situation it's obvious that a 2way QSO could be not possible anyway.
Generally speaking a stacked array has more flatness in gain and F/B,
covers more elevation angles and, with the possibility to select antenna
heights, should be more flexible and outperform a single yagi of double
elements in most of the cases.

73,
Mauri I4JMY