[TowerTalk] Lightning protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection
From: N6CW@aol.com (N6CW@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:36:10 EDT
While thumbing through a copy of the current issue of This Old House magazine
last night I came across an interesting article about protecting your main
electrical entry panel. Now this might be old hat to those of you in
thunderstorm country but I had never heard of this here in Southern
California. A product called BOLT BUSTER (as in lightning bolt) is a large
version of the plug in surge protector. It is a bottle shaped device
consisting of small zinc oxide discs. It installed across the mains inside
the electrical box. Much more information and pictures are available in the
article, pgs 59,60,136.

The article states that this device is rated to withstand surges up to 50,000
amps which should be more than enough to protect all your appliances and
equipment inside the house. The cost of this model, and other manufacturers
models, is approximately $40.00. A call to a couple of local electrical
houses here in San Diego revealed that they are not in stock but are
available. One manufacturer, but not the Bolt Buster (Delta Lightning
Arrestors), has information at www.panamax.com.

The usual disclaimers apply. I just thought this was useful information. Does
anyone have any experience with these devices and/or am I just behind the
curve on this?

Terry/N6CW