[TowerTalk] 1

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 1
From: mihry@argontech.net (Mchael D. Ihry)
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 00:52:22 -0500

Hi Dave,

The reflection that you care about for your high horizontal
antennas isn't dependent on where the local water table is
located.  The ground conductivity in the region immediately below
the antenna is nearly completely irrelevant if the antenna is
a half wavelength or more above it.

What follows is a grossly oversimplified discussion.  But in
practical terms it is valid for the values of the various
constants that you will encounter in the real world near earth.
Note that I am not attempting to discuss anything relating to
vertical antennas.

The important reflection region is located far away from your
antenna site and is not strongly affected by the electrical
conductivity of the ground in its locality.  The reflection is
supported at the air / ground interface and is mostly due to the
difference between the speed of light in air versus the speed of
light in the region near and in the earth.  This is primarily due
to the difference in the relative dielectric constant of the two
media.  For air e = (very close to) 1 and for earth e is
generally taken to be 13 approximately.

In a heavily vegetated region, the reflection plane (for HF) is
actually above ground by approximately the amount of the height
of the vegetation.  You should figure the "effective height" of
your horizontal antennas as the distance above the plane where
the effective dielectric constant begins to differ significantly
from 1.0.  In the horizontal plane, the important part of this
region begins at about one wavelength from your tower and extends
out to 20 (or more depending on antenna height) wavelengths
radius.

For an antenna at a height of a half wavelength, the "ground" in
the region 1 wavelength out from the tower is affecting the
takeoff angles near 30 degrees.  For a takeoff angle of 2
degrees, the reflection zone of importance is out approximately
14 wavelengths.  The high angle reflections are more dependent on
ground conductivities.  By the time you get below takeoff angles
of 20 degrees or so, the conductivity is much less important but
the reflection is strongly dielectric constant gradient
dependent.

I may be reading your post incorrectly, but if you counted the
water table distance the way I think you meant to, you would be
tempted to install the antennas below the optimum height.

73, Eric  N7CL