[TowerTalk] RE: 80 meter 4 square array notes from N0AH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: 80 meter 4 square array notes from N0AH
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:17:15 -0500
>What is the general consensus for where the 4 square should be resonant? If
>you want to cover phone and cw, is it best to;
>- set spacing and length of 70 ohm lines to 3.650. Then resonate verticals
>at 3.8 and add a coil and relay to each one to bring it down to 3.5? This
>way minimum power is dumped into the dummy load at 3.5 and 3.8. Does this
>setup compromise too much on gain and F/B?
>- or set spacing for favorite part of band, say 3.8, and set everything for
>minimum power dumped in the dummy load for that freq. Then switch in a coil
>at each vert with a relay to cover 3.5. Does this way make 3.5 suffer too
>much?
>- Or is there a better way than the above ideas?

If it were me, I would resonate and space the verticals for 3.510, and use
switched capacitors to  QSY to the SSB window. The caps are a much less
lossier proposition than coils, and you have more capture area on the verticals
by virtue of their additional length. I would then take some measurements to
see just how broad banded the phasing lines are, and if necessary, switch
additional RG-11 in and out with another set of relays.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC