[TowerTalk] RE: 80 meter 4 square array notes from N0AH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: 80 meter 4 square array notes from N0AH
From: n2tk@idsi.net (Tony kazmakites)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 06:11:44 -0400
What is the general consensus for where the 4 square should be resonant? If
you want to cover phone and cw, is it best to;
- set spacing and length of 70 ohm lines to 3.650. Then resonate verticals
at 3.8 and add a coil and relay to each one to bring it down to 3.5? This
way minimum power is dumped into the dummy load at 3.5 and 3.8. Does this
setup compromise too much on gain and F/B?
- or set spacing for favorite part of band, say 3.8, and set everything for
minimum power dumped in the dummy load for that freq. Then switch in a coil
at each vert with a relay to cover 3.5. Does this way make 3.5 suffer too
much?
- Or is there a better way than the above ideas?
- With sloping ground, is it more important that the feedpoints be in the
same plane rather than follow the contour of the land? I went to an elevated
feedpoint so that all the feedpoints are in the same plane. This works out
that one vertical's feedpoint is 7' above the ground while the other 3 are
14' above the ground. Or is the difference so small that I should just feed
all of them at the ground level?

Tnx
Tony
N2TK