[TowerTalk] UFER Ground???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] UFER Ground???
From: geowires@winfinity.com (Geowires)
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 12:27:52 -0700
Carl
 Being an Electrician , I can explain to you exactly what a UFFER ground
is .
Uffer . named after Dr, Uffer , who did extensive testing of different
grounding systems in Arizona.
 (Arizona being one particular place where they have : a- lots of
lightning and b- poor soil conductivity  conditions)
Uffer .. Slang for  ' Concrete Embedded Grounding Electrode '
Typically a uffer is a #4 copper conductor placed approx. 2" above  the
bottom of a concrete footing at a minimum of 20' long
Naturally the purpose of the 'Grounding Electrode " is for lightning
protection.
According to the National Electric Code ....metal buildings or structures
are to be  bonded to a grounding electrode conductor . Even if they are
solidly embedded in concrete . Bonded means you connect the metal frame to
the grounding electrode (uffer) conductor .
Hope this helps ..if anyone disagrees with this ..tell someone else ..my
mail box is way toooo full.: )
George Rogato