[TowerTalk] GAP Titan

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GAP Titan
From: kc8jx@yahoo.com (Larry Knapp)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:53:30 -0700 (PDT)
Phil - I respect your opinion.  Perhaps this too was said when the quad was
invented.  New designs do come along....isn't that wonderful...FYI: I have not
worked 333 countries...275 is the count....not all worked with a vertical; some
with low dipoles.             Larry

--- Phil Clements <philk5pc@tyler.net> wrote:

> > I haven't owned a GAP, but a good friend, K2RM, had one for a couple of
> > years.  Rarely two months went by when some physical part didn't fall off
> > into his back yard...literally!  He tried everything including lightly
> > guying the antenna with nylon cord.  (He is NOT in a windy area and the
> > antenna was protected by a stockade fence around the back yard.)  I think
> > GAP replaced parts until the warranty period ran out.
> >
> > I was with him when he talked with the owner of GAP at Dayton, two separate
> > years.  The guy basically told him, "That's too bad."  He didn't offer to
> > replace his obviously bad antenna or extend the warranty or provide
> > additional replacement parts, nor did he even express regrets for the
> > on-going problems.
> >
> > Bob finally replaced the GAP with another vertical...an R5, I think.  On
> > our weekly schedule, his 40M signal from Ft. Worth, TX to me in Ruidoso, NM
> > increased quite dramatically. He hasn't had a single problem with the new
> > antenna.
> >
> > Based on Bob's experiences, and equally on the attitude I saw from the GAP
> > guy, I wouldn't have one as a gift.
> >
> > Ed, W5EJ
> >
> >  >Rod - I'm not sure "exactly" why this group "hates" the GAP Titan. I have
> > one
> >  >an I am very pleased with it.
>
> Maybe it could be their trying to re-invent the way vertical antennas work
> and their deceptive ads(that prey upon unknowing new hams) that we don't
> like.
>
> If the instruction book on any vertical antenna does not say "put down as
> many
> radials as you can, as long as you can; chances are you are dealing with more
> "snake oil," "magic," and witchcraft than you are antenna theory.
>
> All vertical antennas require an extensive ground system to prevent RF energy
> from warming worms instead of being reflected up and away.
>
> I know, I know...do not bother telling how you worked 333 countries with no
> radials. I have worked several countries in my distant past with door bell
> wire clipped to a rain gutter. We are talking efficiency here; or, for those
> of you in Rio Linda, "more bang for the buck."
>
> (((73)))
> Phil, K5PC
>

> --

=====
May your days be full of sunshine and good thoughts fill your head.
From: Larry Knapp, KC8JX, St. Joseph, Mi  49085
  Best 73's