[TowerTalk] Crank-Up tower owners, please read

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank-Up tower owners, please read
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:29:35 EDT
In a message dated 99-10-12 18:16:52 EDT, goodnews@mail.cmedic.net writes:

> I am in the throws of installing a crank up tilt tower.  The tower including
>  rotor cage will reach 110 feet.  I have a lot of cable to lubricate.  When
>  do, I will use graphite.  Probably the type that comes with a vehicle of an
>  evaporative liquid.
>
>  Graphite is shaped like little platelets.  The rubbing and abrading of coax
>  can benefit from the graphite shape and size.  Unlike teflon impregnated
>  lubribrication, the teflon is like little round balls.  It is better used
in
>  high friction applications.

      I don't know what the cable manufacturers think of graphite as a
lubricant. I do know that the ones I talked to recommended PreLube 6 as a
cable lubricant. It contains rust inhibiting polymers in a penetrating oil;
doesn't contain any graphite.

     OTOH if you get an official word from a cable manufacturer (NOT a
crank-up manufacturer) on graphite or any other lubricating material, I WOULD
like to hear about it.

Cheers,   Steve      K7LXC
Champion Radio Products

PS - In case you hadn't guessed, Champion carries the PreLube 6. 888-833-3104
or http://www.championradio.com.