[TowerTalk] Crank-Up tower owners, please read

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank-Up tower owners, please read
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:22:54 -1000

> Consider some of the graphite solutions for your
>cables.  If flexing is the need, it can't be beaten.

Well,  flexing is not why my 7 year old cable broke:
it was rust -- all the way through the cable strands!!
And it was rust of the cable on the winch drum;  a lot
of a crank up tower's cable sits on the winch until you
want to lower the tower.

I am now using Whitmore's "Wire Rope Lubricant";
obtained from First Call Communications in New York.
This,  per the can,  penetrates to lubricate the internal
cable strands and "Protects against corrosion in all
weather and salty environments".  We'll see,  as I am
about 1.5 miles from the coast here on the island.

I spray it liberally on the cable on the winch;  then squirt
it on to really wet a kitchen cellulose sponge which I
have tied to a swimming pool cleaning pole.  This is
one of those poles which can be extended to
about 20 foot length.  With this I can reach the
exposed cables

73,  Jim,  KH7M