[TowerTalk] New erection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] New erection
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:58:15 EST
Howdy, TowerTalkians --

      You might want to take a look at the new tower and antenna system of
Tim, K5RA. It's 80 feet of Rohn SSV/RTP with a C31-XR and full-sized 2L 40M
yagi. The work was done by a crane.

       Here's what he had to say about it:

>> I second your endorsement of the concrete vibrator.  Since my hole was
11.5 ft sq and 4.5 ft deep (mat base for Rohn SSV tower), and had 1000
pounds of re-bar in it (44 pieces of #78 bar, 11 ft long), plus the
steel template and tower base bolts suspended from a wooden bridge over
the hole, I did not have complete flexibility of where the concrete
could be dumped.  Also, I ordered my concrete with low slump (it was
really "stiff") because of the size of the pour.

I hired a profession placing crew, and they had two vibrators.  The
concrete went in and made a pile about two feet high and five feet
across at the base.  When the man threw the vibrator into it, the pile
melted like butter in a blast furnace!!  The vibrators made the concrete
flow over and around the re-bar, and into every extreme of the hole.  No
shovelling or poking with 2x4s was required.

Fortunately, I could have the three trucks drive up to the hole site, so
I did not have to go with buggies or pumps.

By the way, a 126-ft huydraulic motor crane is a great way to put up a
tower.  If you are interested, photos of my tower party are available at
http://www.dxer.org/k5ra.html. Eighty-ft tower, 22 ft mast, and two
full-size beams up in two hours and five minutes (tower off the blocks
to climber off the tower). >>

       Nice job and nice installation.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech