[TowerTalk] Problem with KT34XA strap

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Problem with KT34XA strap
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 12:54:09 -0500
I got my tower back up and this afternoon as I rotated the 34XA I noticed
the sigs cutting out.  SWR was 3.5 to 1 rather than 1.2 to 1
on both 20 and 10 (little change in 15).  I feed the antennas thru a remote
coax switch so I checked that out first and the 12 and 40/17
antennas worked fine.  SO it comes down to the 34XA.  I had problems with
the dual drive straps(between the driven elements) and traced the problem
back to the connections.  I worked hard to tighten the contacts and clean
them so
its gotta be the center connection that keeps them apart with a spacer
insulator.  The SWR and sigs jump when I tap the break release on the rotor.
The beam settles down after a while.  The problem occurs when moving the
antenna
but is worst between NW and N. I have replacements but probably will have to
wait until
next spring.  I put on a new balun and made sure that was secure, too.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Dave K4JRB

Sponsored