[TowerTalk] US Tower Motor Winch in Winter

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower Motor Winch in Winter
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 08:30:36 -0800
This morning for the first time in the almost two years I've had my US
Tower HDX572-MDPL installed, I was unable to raise the tower up because of
what appeared to be excessively cold temperatures.  When I turned on the
motorized winch, everything moved VERY slowly for about ten seconds before
the circuit breaker feeding the motor tripped.

Everything moved -- the tower didn't appear jammed or stuck -- but ver-r-ry
slowly.  Are there any known problems with the gear box or cable drum
getting cold soaked and becoming too stiff for the motor to turn?  The
temps weren't THAT cold, perhaps 10 degrees F, and I don't recall having
this problem last Winter.

If this is a common or at least a known problem, are there ways to keep the
affected components warm in the Winter.  Heat tape or blankets or ? . . .

73, Dick
--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.cvrc.net/