[TowerTalk] US Tower Motor Winch in Winter

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower Motor Winch in Winter
From: kinderh@cadvision.com (Steve Babcock)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 16:42:56 -0700
Hello Dick:

I have a US Tower 589MDPL....(the 89' version).
Although I have had it for only two winters, I have had no trouble with
cranking it up in VERY  COLD condx...ie -30 deg C (almost-30F).  I keep the
tower down all the time except when in use, so it has been up and down
countless times in temperatures colder than you are describing.  I still
have the "stock", factory delivered oil in the gear box, but my guess is you
should consider a colder temp, lighter gauge oil?  I assume you checked to
make sure the belt was not slipping?  I keep belt dressing on hand.  I also
lube the tower sections every fall.  I have a 20' mast, 80m rot dipole, F-12
tribander and 2-el 40 on top.
I have had a problem with ice buildup/ frost forming on the cables and on
the pulleys and cable drum.  I have since built an enclosure for the winch
and drum assembly which seems to help.

Good luck,  de Steve VE6WZ.........