[TowerTalk] US Tower Motor Winch in Winter

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower Motor Winch in Winter
From: kinderh@cadvision.com (Steve Babcock)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 08:20:46 -0700
Here is how i lube my tower sections and some further info on the cold wx/
slow tower thing......(cut and paste from direct response to Dick)

sorry ur other question...I lube the tower sections by hand with lithium
(white) grease using a paint brush.  I also buy a spray can of lithium
grease and spray it down inside "contact points" where the sections slide.
Pick a nice warm summer day, and dont fall off the ladder.

Dick,
I just remembered I did have a problem once in the winter when the
threaded drive rod which moves the cable along the drum froze up. (both the
top and bottom seemed to seize).  This caused the breaker to blow and the
crank-up go slow.  Check that out.....what seemed to be happening was the
lube was "too heavy" on the threaded drive rods and turned to glue/tar in
the cold wx.  I now have since cleaned the rods and keep them lubed with
light oil...ie WD-40.