[TowerTalk] Three Lightning Protection Clarifications Please?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Three Lightning Protection Clarifications Please?
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 14:39:47 -0800
I agree with most of Eric's comments.  But
The Megger(TM) and equivalent devices test at around
100~400 Hz so the values they get are valid for power company
concerns, but not necessarily for lightning ground concerns.
Nevertheless, if the values gotten are 10-Ohms or less (and
preferably 5-Ohms or less), for all intents and purposes, you
have a good ground system.  Realize that the Megger(TM)
system can be used both for analyzing a ground system (or
a rod within that system) as well as for how good (conductive)
the earth in that region is prior to creating the ground system.

In addition to GEM (rahter pricey), you can try coke breeze.  This
is a by-product of burning coke.  I know of one source in Utah
(Christensen Bros [forgot the town]), but am sure there are others.
Fluor-Daniel analyuzed several conductivity enhancement schemes
and judged coke breeze as provifding the best bang for the buck.  I
am not sure I would recommend a Ufer ground over a good ground
system; for sure, a Ufer ground should not be your sole ground.

Have fun.

Bob AA0CY