[TowerTalk] Three Lightning Protection Clarifications Please?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Three Lightning Protection Clarifications Please?
From: n8ug@juno.com (n8ug@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:59:16 -0600
You have my vote, Dave -  we've preached the point for years. The
National Electric Code also requires it, although I've not read the
section to see the exact verbiage.
Comments have appeared on TT concerning the distance from the house
service ground, and deleting the need at a certain distance. This offends
my "common sense" thinking, in that if a collection of coax and rotor
cable to the house is the only equalization path between large potentials
for even a nanosecond, it pretty presumptious to assume that any ground
dispersion field, no matter how elaborate, around the base of the tower
could guarantee anything more than perhaps an insurance discount.
With all of the expense of a field, one more run of heavy, solid copper
to the power company neutral seems eminently logical to me!
73,

Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC, 29356
Sales (800)727-WIRE(9473) or  orders@thewireman.com
Tech help (864)895-4195 or  n8ug@thewireman.com
http://www.thewireman.com  and the WIRELINE news
and bargain page.  Our 22nd year!

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:26:35 -0700 "Dave D'Epagnier"