[TowerTalk] ARRL.NET email address

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ARRL.NET email address
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 12:29:45 +0000
At 05:48 PM 12/17/99 -0600, E. Glenn Wolf, Jr. wrote:

>Folks,
>
>I've received some emails over the last couple of days that deal with the
>arrl.net email accounts.  Basically these email accounts are redirectors,
>meaning that they do nothing more than take the arrl.net address and send it
>on to the address you specify.
>
>The problem, while you can receive towertalk posts with the address, should
>you ever decide to send a post, it will likely bounce because the address
>from which you are sending the mail isn't registered as a member of the
>list.  My recommendation - subscribe using your isp email address NOT the
>ARRL.NET address.

If you change from using your regular e-mail account to using a redirector
as your "From:" or "Reply to:" address, then you may well need to
unsubscribe and resubscribe to your favorite reflectors, or on many of them
you'll encounter the problem Glenn describes.  However, I'm a little
concerned that people following his advice could unnecessarily negate the
advantage of having a redirector account, depending on how they interpret "
subscribe USING your isp email address."

You should be able to use the redirector as both your "From:" and "Reply
to:" addresses in all correspondence.  You do have to be careful, though,
that you send your subscribe messages through the SMTP server you will be
using.  A few weeks ago, my reflector posts started disappearing into the
great bit-bucket in the sky.  The problem turned out to be that I had
changed SMTP servers.  Everything in my messages was unchanged except for
the "Received from:" part of the full-form header, but my messages weren't
making it.  My surmise is that Majordomo checks the "Received from:" line
as well as the "From:" (and maybe the "Reply to:") lines in deciding
whether to accept a message.

I fixed my problem by unsubscribing and then resubscribing using the new
SMTP server, but my use of redirector addresses - in fact everything else
in my e-mail program's settings - remains unchanged.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Sometimes a tower is just a tower