[TowerTalk] Ground rod drivers.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground rod drivers.
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:05:48 -0000

On 18 Jan 01, Pete Smith wrote:

> At 08:47 AM 1/18/01 -0800, Avila, Edward wrote:
> >DAMN guys.....I just bought a stake driver at ACE Hardware in town for $15
> >brand new......may be I could .....I can't image metal pipe and a cap
> >costing much less? HI
>

> But these are hams, Ed .... would you deprive them of the fun of welding a
> strap on their homebrew metal post driver?  Or the exhilaration of having
> it come apart in mid-wham?
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> Contesting is!

And the weld WILL break. When I rented an 80 lb jackhammer from
the rental shop, they didn't have the ground rod driver available, so
they welded me up one. It broke on the first rod. Took it back, they
tried again. Broke again. Wound up being a no charge rental that
day, and they re-rented the jackhammer with the real ground rod
driver a few days later.

Barry
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com