[TowerTalk] Tic Ring problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tic Ring problem
From: wx0b@arraysolutions.com (Jay Terleski)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:39:57 -0600
Funny stuff this RFI you guys are looking at. And since I have a TIC
ring, I better try and help some in case I have the same issue arise.
So far I have not had time to use mine since its controller is back at
the factory for service.

But I may be able to detect the same stuff you gus do.

Tim and Sig, how about making a small RF Sniffer with some attenuator
resisitors to get right up to it and "sniff" around with the small loop
pickup. Perhaps you can use a small radio or a handheld spectrum
analyzer as the reciever.

The Handbook has a sniffer you could build in an hour or less.  If the
fundamantal was too strong, I guess a filter could be put in the front
end of the SA or reciever to knock it down.

You may have tried this already.

Jay, WX0B

Tim Duffy wrote:

> Hi Ty!
>
> Thanks for your ideas. I am committed to finding the problem.
>
> I have tried all of the bonding ideas you mentioned. I think N3RS has tried
> all of them as well.
> I have disconnected the control wiring and there is still terrible harmonic
> generated noise. The
> problem seems to be exacerbated by the closeness of the two towers. In N3RS's
> case it is 127 feet
> and 40 into 20 meters. In my case it is 140 feet and 20 into 10 meters.
>
> Turning the rotor by hand also makes the same noise and harmonic issues.
>
> I think the problem may exist in the guide pulleys. They have black (contains
> carbon, which is
> conductive at radio frequencies) insulating material between the 2 sections
> of these rotating
> pulleys. 3 of them are used on each ring. The black carbon may set up a diode
> which for some
> reason bypassing with heavy wire from the boom of the antenna to the tower
> cannot fix. These
> "pulley diodes" may be the cause of the noise and the terrible harmonic
> problem in close
> proximity ring rotated antennas.
>
> That is my current hypothesis which also is where N3RS is in his testing.
>
> I will not stop working on this until it is fixed, however we are running out
> of places to look.
> These problems are always tough the first time!
>
> Any other suggestions???
>
> 73!
> Tim K3LR
>
> tgstewart@pepco.com wrote:
>
> > Have you tried bonding the ring to the motor as a test?  How about the boom
> > to the ring as well?
> >
> > Another thing perhaps worth trying is to isolate both the control wiring
> > and/or control box from the rotator.
> >
> > Have you tried disengaging the motor and turning the ring by hand to see
> > what that does?
> >
> > I cant believe K3LR hasnt solved this problem!  :)
> >
> > 73, Ty K3MM
> >

> >                     "R. Sigismonti"
> >                     <n3rs@snip.net>             To:
> > towertalk@contesting.com
> >                     Sent by:                    cc:
> >                     owner-towertalk@cont        Subject:     Re:
> > [TowerTalk] Tic Ring problem
> >                     esting.com
> >

> >                     01/22/2001 02:50 PM
> >

> > >The problem is not noise caused by the motor. The noise filter at
> > >the motor does a good
> > >job, except when the capacitors blow (which has only happened on my
> > >10 meter tower).
> > >
> > >N3RS verified that there is significant noise caused when the ring
> > >turns, even when turned manually (take the motor off the tower).
> >
> > Not only is the noise not caused by the motor, it is even there when
> > there is no motor action at all.  We have a very aggravated case of
> > this noise problem here at N3RS.  We have a 3 stack of 20M 5 element
> > yagis on TIC rings and a 3 element 40M yagi just 127 feet away.  When
> [...]

Jay Terleski
WX0B - Array Solutions
www.arraysolutions.com