[TowerTalk] Shadowing of small antennas by larger ones?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shadowing of small antennas by larger ones?
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:38:51 -0500
> Since the far-field pattern is made up of equal parts of direct
> ray and ground-reflected ray, it seems to me that it wouldn't
> matter which antenna is on top.

That implies ground loss is zero and the near field effect of a large
structure near the antenna will have no effect.

We can be certain there is some ground loss and that a large
antenna mounted near the antenna being used will always affect
the pattern some amount.

Contrary to what is popularly thought, an adjacent conductor does
not need to be resonant nor in front of the antenna to have an major
effect on pattern. I'd certainly model the antenna combination,
booms and all, before reaching any conclusions!

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com