[TowerTalk] Shadowing of small antennas by larger ones?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shadowing of small antennas by larger ones?
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:36:31 -0500
The example you quote, C19 and 340N, is probably an exception that
proves the rule. In general I agree with W8JI's assessment. These two
antennas, though, carry time spent in *developing* an independence that
would never occur otherwise except with blind luck.

The effect of "shadowing" would require closer elements than present on
the 340. The real interference, if it occurred with a pair like this,
would result from the outcome of all the 340 elements being present in
the *near* field of the tribander.

In that case, the way to examine all the reactions is to add up all the
vectors, compute the currents, e.g. model the interactions, with due
attention to the difficulty of modeling linear loading. Ante up and get
your NEC 4 license....

Guy Olinger, K2AV
Apex, NC, USA