[TowerTalk] Coax Rating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Rating
From: n8ug@juno.com (n8ug@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 08:30:03 -0600
Sorry, Mauri, but you are not describing 8X as most of the world knows
it. Your description sounds almost like CATV cable, except that the braid
is aluminum and can range as lean as 40%shielding By definition, the
original 8X was 93.7% bare copper braid over foam PE with a center cond
of bare, 16 gauge stranded copper. The jacket was a Class I PVC.
Variations of this have appeared over the years, but the basics are the
same. The exceptions that relate to your description include a few low
loss types, by us, Times, to name 2, but they all have tinned copper
braid of greater than 90% over the inner shield of aluminum/polyester.
Their power rating is no lower than the basic type.
73,

Press Jones, N8UG - The Wireman, Inc., 261 Pittman Rd, Landrum, SC 29356
<Press@thewireman.com> or <orders@thewireman.com>
800-727-WIRE(9473)(sales)
Tech help 864-895-4195, fax 864-895-5811.Full catalog, images,
descriptions, coax specs,
 ordering, at http://www.thewireman.com and super deals, specials,
close-outs etc.,
at THE WIRELINE. Check the CALENDAR to find us at a hamfest!