[TowerTalk] LOOS gauge ramblings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LOOS gauge ramblings
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:23:53 EST
In a message dated 3/13/01 4:47:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
alsopb@gloryroad.net writes:

> I'm beginning to think that one needs a section at least twice the
>  length of the gauge to get a meaningful result.

    All you need is enough section to clamp the LOOS gauge to. Whether a
cable length is one foot or one-hundred feet, the tension will be the same at
any point along guy FOR PRACTICAL PURPOSES.

>  If the above is not true, I'd really like to have some technically
>  savvy person explain to me how the gauge really does work correctly in
>  these cases.

    I did this and published the results in my "Up The Tower" column in CQ
Contest magazine. I used a calibrated Dillon dynamometer as the reference.

    But I'm not sure of your question. You mean you want the theory behind
how it measures?

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech