[TowerTalk] Re: W-I-D-E Arrays

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: W-I-D-E Arrays
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:55:09 +0000
VE6JY:

>What about stacking say, 4 yagis at the same height, all in the same
>direction? i.e. echelon...what is the resulting pattern like and what
>is the optimum and minimum boom to boom spacing?

        I did a simple model of this.  I used one dipole versus 4
collinear dipoles at 0.5 wave spacing (which is what the ARRL Antenna
Book shows to be about optimum for max gain).  Results:

                             1 Dipole        4 Dipoles
Free Space Gain (dBi)         2.11            8.61
Beamwidth (deg azimuth)        78              12

        For Yagis which have a typical beamwidth of 50-60 degrees, the
compression of the phased array would be even more...way too narrow for
contesting (but fine for DXing).

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV