[TowerTalk] using end caps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] using end caps
From: kc5ajx@hotmail.com (Rick Bullon)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:48:55 -0000

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:28:48 wrote:

>Unless you are using extremely light elements to begin with, I doubt that
>the element ends would droop enough to notice.  I prefer to use end
>caps to hold my rope in, and drill holes on the under side of the elements
>for drainage.
>
>Scott Detloff K8DX
>Paris, Ohio
>Visit The North Coast Contesters @  www.qsl.net/ncc
>Tour K8DX @  www.qsl.net/k8dx

Another reason to use end caps with drain holes is that insects can't build
nests or webs inside the elements and clog them up thus not letting any
water or condensation drain out.
As far as using rope in the elements to reduce vibration, I helped a friend
last year assemble a Hy-Gain/MFJ TH-7 tribander. It came from the factory
with small nylon rope for the elements( it was more like cord than rope) the
instructions stated to insert the rope in the elements, unwrap the stands of
the rope and fold over the end of the elements using the end caps to hole
the rope in place.
I would guess that you could to the same with a Force 12 antenna by put the
rope in before you install the rivets and use the end of the rivet to wiggle
pass the rope inside. I have never tried this it is just an idea. I think
the nylon cord would shed any moisture in the elements and let it drain out
as cotton type rope or cord would soak up the moisture and retain it thus
adding weight to the elements
73
Rick
KC5AJX