[TowerTalk] rope in elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rope in elements
From: w5vx@hiline.net (Bill Parry)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:32:28 -0600
I'm usually a lurker but this topic has been of particular interest to me.

When I put up my 90 foot tower a number of years ago, I stacked a 5 element
15 and 5 element 10 Hygain Yagis. I did not put ropes in the elements. We
have a fairly consistent breeze off of the gulf here, but it isn't really
windy. I had immediate problems with the tips on the elements breaking on
the 10 meter yagi. I was amazed and irritated about the element breakage on
these new antennas. I called Hygain and they shipped me new elements. I
replaced the elements and put rope in each. Within 6 months, I had three
elements broken again...rope hanging out the ends! By the time I got around
to fixing them, two elements tips broke on the 15. Hygain said that they had
not heard of this. I decided to trash these two antennas and replace them
with KLM's.

I stacked the KLM 6 element 10 and 6 element 15. Great antennas and the 15
stayed up for years, the ten had the same element breakage problems. (I
guess that rope in the elements isn't the cure to the problem.) With the
improvement in the sunspot cycle, I decided to take a leap of faith and buy
the F12 C-3, and the EF240X.

Installed the F12 C-3 and 2 element 40 - no ropes. I have had no broken
elements 2+ years. I'm not a cheerleader for F-12, and I have had a couple
of problems (hardware was not stainless steel,  the 40 meter loading wire
hardware broke and the wind can cause those close spaced driven elements on
the C-3 to bump into each other),

My experience has taught me that all antennas have advantages and
disadvantages. Having the resource of other's experiences here on TowerTalk
is great. I'm planning a new antenna project and I am carefully listening
for tips!

Bill, W5VX