[TowerTalk] COAX connector heating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] COAX connector heating
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:38:34 EST
In a message dated 3/30/2001 07:16:22 Eastern Standard Time,
w9ol@billnjudy.com writes:

>  I have a manual Delta-4 antenna switch.
>  On occasion, especially those long fruitless cq's in the wee hours of
>  whenever, I'll feel the coax connector from the amp to the switch is
>  warm.

Sounds like problem I had, but it went further, melted the plasting things
inside.
Looks like switch problem, there is a springy contact being pushed down to
contacts from connectors. That can develop resistance and eventually
overheat. It melted plastic pusher in my switch, fried lightning arrestor.
    Ignore the warning about not taking it appart, inspect and clean the
contacts, spring it if necessary and keep on using until it starts heating
again.
    Otherwise if connectors heat up, it is a sign of either bad solder or
corroded or tired connections. Cleaning and putting on DeoxIT helps bad
contacts. I had case when coax braid insulated itself from the PL259, up on
the tower.

GL Yuri