[TowerTalk] Single Base for 45g and 25g?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Single Base for 45g and 25g?
From: k6na@cts.com (Glenn Rattmann)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:39:44 -0800
At 07:57 AM 03/30/2001 -0600, you wrote:

>Not sure if I'm going to go with 45g or 25g.

>The concrete base and guy anchors will be designed for the largest tower
>I plan on putting up.

Richard,

It sounds like you can afford the more expensive tower, 45G, because you
don't say you can't.  If true, there is no reason in the world why you
would want to put up 25G instead, given a fair choice.

We never want "less" antennas as time passes; usually we like to expand, if
anything.  But even if you want just a tribander, the extra safety factor
of the fat tower is worth it.  If you have been up both towers while
someone in the shack turned the beam, you will know what I mean.

Also, several large rotators won't fit 25G very well (or at all).  Again,
it's smart to keep your options open.

If your wife doesn't care which tower you choose... go for the bigger one.
And put torque bars on it.

Good luck!

--Glenn K6NA