[TowerTalk] Matching 75 ohm hardline for 3 bands

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Matching 75 ohm hardline for 3 bands
From: K7GCO@aol.com (K7GCO@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 16:03:24 EST
In a message dated 3/31/01 8:16:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:

<< t 05:11 AM 3/31/01 -0500, Tom Rauch wrote:
 >> Is there a solution for matching 75 ohm hard-line to a triband
 >> antenna?...

 >1.) Pick a length of 75 ohm cable that does not result in the worse
 >impedance showing up at the 50 ohm cable connection point at the
 >transmitter end.

 am I right in thinking that the general answer would be to make the 75-ohm
 feedline a multiple of a half-wavelength at the lowest operating frequency,
 and that the worst situation would be if the 75-ohm were an odd number of
 quarter-wavelengths?

 73, Pete N4ZR
 Contesting is!

Yes.  1/4 wave multiples would give 100 ohms and the feedline would be a 1/4
wave multiple only on one band.   For .66 coax 91' 2" is a 1/2 wave or
multiple on all bands based on multiples of 3.562 MHz.  Better yet adjust the
matching device on the antenna (like hair pins or Gamma/T's for 75 ohms for
1:1 SWR all the way to the shack and massage the inductance in the pi net to
favor 75 ohms for max output/efficiency of the final.  Or use a tuner in the
shack which most 50 ohm rigs have.  K7GCO