[TowerTalk] Cell towers and Ham Radio

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cell towers and Ham Radio
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 07:57:42 -0400
> Dale,
>
> After reading the fine print on one cell contract I wouldn't
> let any of them get near my ham towers and especially not
> replace them.  The contract basically said they became the
> primary interest and if the ham stuff caused any interference
> it had to stop immediately.  Typical commercial towers have
> a "last on" policy that says whoever is last on the tower has
> to solve any problems they create whether it be RX or TX.
>
> I'll bet if the ham club actually READS the fine print they
> won't want to have anything to do with the cell site-

Same here.

I had an offer to buy my 300 foot tower for $50,000...pay me a
monthly $300 property lease fee....plus pay me 25% of the monthly
revenue of any systems on the tower.

When I got down to re-wording the fine print on interference so that
if it was MY fault I'd correct MY problem and if it was their fault
they'd correct their problem, the deal fell apart.

I had no access control, and they had priority.

Plus, once they are they it is almost for life. If they are a headache,
you are stuck.

Read the fine print and have a couple **good** lawyers read it also.
It may not be as sweet as it seems.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers, safety
equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
http://www.championradio.com

-----