[TowerTalk] Coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax
From: jnipper@southeast.net (James Nipper)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 14:46:00 -0400
Now I vote that this guy is sane.  He CLEARLY is not an avid dx-er, to
whom each 1/10th  of a db is like giving up a vacation to heaven.

Keep enjoying life !!!    Those db's won't count, when you are six feet
deep, huh ??  Hi HI HI HI

Now try to convince those dx-types of the truth of the above
sayings.................

73 and gud dx   de   Jim K4PYT

David Jordan wrote:

> Hmmm,
>
> I have had my coax buried in my yard for over 20yrs.  Pulled it  up because
> we're moving...some was RG8, RG213, RG214, RG58....all was in good shape, even
> where some of the squirrels had chewed off the outside covering the oxidation
> was limited to a few inches.
>
> Never noticed any decrease in performance although I'm sure the experts will
> say
> there was a decrease due to the age, moisture, etc.  However, I think the real
> decrease in performance over the 20yr period has been in my ears and
> brain...perhaps more so than in the coax.  On this too I fee sure the experts
> will agree.
>
> I'm building a new place in the country.  I don't intend to spend too much
> energy or money on conduits, pumping/ filling in the pipes or pressuring the
> conduits and using an air dryer process (likek they do in TV commercial
> feedline).  Nope, I'll just bury it and not worry about it. Might even just
> lay
> it on the ground and let gravity suck it in over the years.
>
> In another 20yrs I won't give a damn if I have a few db of loss or a little
> SWR...I'll be happy to just be breathing and waking up in the morning...
>
> SO, I guess if you have more money and time on your hands than you can imagine
> what to do with you might attempt to duplicate a utility company type
> commercial
> installation for your coax. It will surely be something to chat about over the
> radio even if the guy on the other end keeps asking you to repeat yourself
> because his hearing is going ;-)
>
> HAVE FUN,
> dave
> wa3gin
>
> ---
>
> List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
> safety equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
> http://www.championradio.com
>
> -----

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com