[TowerTalk] Ham4

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ham4
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 20:40:49 +0000
Hi Wilf,

Thanks info.  I wonder if they were all sent to Canada.  Of the 7
boxes I had here through the years one (Ham-m) was a tiny plastic
box.  The rest were big two tone metal boxes.  One was for a Ham2, two
were for Ham3's and four were for Ham4's.  Since all are >10years old,
I wonder what the
vintage of your Ham IV'S are.  Clearly my statistical database isn't
large enough.  (I use the same sampling techinques employed in
presidential elections down here).

Norm's rotor repair service has this interesting statement about the
control boxes.

"A Ham-M has a single-levered control box with a meter. In 1973 the
mold for making the Ham-M control unit shell was destroyed in a fire.
So rather than spend the money to replace the mold, the Ham-2 was
born. The rotor was the
same as the Ham-M, but the control unit was replaced with a
three-button unit with a continuous meter reading."

This would indicate that either some other mold was made accommodating
three-button switches (unlikely) or the change was made in 1973 to the
metal case versions.

You sure you have Ham IV's?  Do your units have the three switches?

73 de Brian/K3KO

Wilf Barby wrote:

> Hi Brian, I have three Ham IV control boxes and all are
> plastic boxes. The Ham-M had a metal case. 73,
>
> Wilf VE7QO
>
> wbarby@telus.net
>
> List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
> safety equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
> http://www.championradio.com
>
> -----

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com