[TowerTalk] DC isolated UNUN

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] DC isolated UNUN
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 14:39:20 -0400
You mean DC transparent UNUNs, as in the kind with a capacitor from the bottom
of the UNUN winding to ground to keep from shorting out the DC, and the control
relay current passes through the UNUN windings?

In this case the only the difference between the input and output RF currents
pass through the capacitor to ground, and since the impedances are so close
this is rather small.

For a well matched load at 1500 watts, this would be 5.48 minus 4.47, one amp
for government purposes, not really a lot. You should be able to use the same
value/ratings that is used for the blocking capacitor in the tower end switch
box since it will be *less* stressed at the bottom of the UNUN winding.