[TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 05:07:31 -0400
Someone else a few months back had a problem with noise using
an RCS-4.

I told him that virtually every case was caused by defective coax, or
water in fittings.

His turned out to be a bad feed cable, as virtually all of them do.

> This reflector is an excellent source of both good and bad information on
> towers, antennas, antenna switching devices etc.  One should be very
> careful though in taking everything posted as being correct or properly
> technically explained.  There are a very few posters who seem to have a
> personal axe to grind with some manufacturer and use this reflector to
> take cheap shots or carry on their own petty agendas.

There is absolutely no problem with sending control and RF down
the same lines. I've been doing it for 30 years on low-noise
receiving antennas.

If I get water in a connector, or if the cable has a poor ground or a
cut someplace, it certainly makes noise.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----