[TowerTalk] Force 12 C3 spacers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C3 spacers
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 19:19:27 -0600
On Wed, 16 May 2001  K7LXC@aol.com writes:

> Remember that the only antenna parameter hams can measure is SWR so
> some of  us tend to become relatively anal about *low* swr so anything
that
> upsets it  - no matter how minor - is viewed with some concern.
>
> Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
> Tower Tech

AMEN  Steve !

Allow me to give you a couple of examples of high SWR antenna
performance.

#1  After a 30 minute ragchew and some persuasion, I convinced
an African station I was working on 15M to try 17 and then 12 M
with his 15M dipole.  He had a great signal on 17M, tuning the
pi-network of this TS-830 for maximum forward power.  We then
tried 12M (WAY past his usual bedtime) and again made contact.
He was so excited he asked if I thought the 15M dipole would work
on 30M where it was only half size.  I was more than game so again
we QSYed and made contact.  He stayed on 30M for another hour
handing out the first 30M contacts (as far as I knew) to several
European and North American callers.

#2  My 160M elevated GP also supports one end of my EU / S.Pac.
80M dipole and has an 80M inverted vee on a pulley for JA / SA.
During the winter months I like to have my 80M inverted Vee
available for the SE Asian openings at Sunrise and Sunset.
Yes, it severely detunes the 160M GP.  I just tune for maximum
forward power (1400W) and accept the high 'reflected' power (400W).
It didn't seem to hurt me when I worked the ZD9, ZL9, and XZ
DXpeditions.

Bottom Line:

An antenna does NOT need to be resonant (or matched)
to radiate.  As long as Nothing ARCs and Nothing MELTS,
NO  HARM  DONE, at least with 3-500 glass tubes.

de  Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----