[TowerTalk] Ginpole for 20 foot sections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ginpole for 20 foot sections
From: w7ni@easystreet.com (Stan or Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:29:50 -0700
I agree that if you just need more beef on the pull rope, you can get more
bodies to do it.  But,
I was addressing the issue of too much load on the gin pole and more bodies
pulling on the rope
doesn't help that.  A 3:1 mechanical advantage block and tackle system does,
indeed, relieve
about 1/3 of the load on the gin pole, in addition to reducing the number of
bodies required on
the pull rope.  The cost, as you pointed out, is that a LOT more rope is
required . . .

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com

Richard Thorne wrote:

> R,R Stan:
>
> A block and tackle would definitely work.  My dad and I used one on a
> homebrew tilt over
> tower.  But a good block and tackle with the correct amount of rope gets
> expensive. Always
> easier to find more help to pull on the rope.  I've used two pulleys, one at
> the gin pole top
> and one at the base of the tower.
>
> Stan or Patricia Griffiths wrote:
>
> > We hashed this out about a year ago and I recommended the use of a block
> > and tackle to
> > reduce the load on the gin pole.  Using a 3:1 mechanical advantage block
> > and tackle reduces
> > the load on the gin pole to 66% of what it would be if just a single pully
> > a the top were
> > used, ignoring friction . . .
> >
> > At the time we dicussed this topic, there were some strong "non-believers"
> > who voiced their
> > skepicsm on this reflector.  I have since rigged a convincing demonstration
> > of this
> > principle and gave it (with the help of W7RR) as a program at a Willamette
> > Valley DX Club
> > meeting, where, after the demonstration, there were NO non-believers . . .
> >
> > This may not solve the problem, but it will sure help . . .
> >
> > Stan
> > w7ni@easystreet.com
> >
> > Richard Thorne wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Stan:
> > >
> > > I think its called a crane :-).  I've helped put up several 25g and 45g
> > > towers in my ham
> > > career.  The 45g sections usually required 2 if not 3 people to pull the
> > > section up
> > > safely.  I'm sure some sort of winch would be required to pull up 420lbs
> > > assuming you
> > > could find/manufacture a gin pole that would handle it.

> > > --
> > > Richard Thorne
> > > Advo Companies, Inc.
> > > 806-342-0600
> > >
> > > List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call
> > > us
> > > for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers - up
> > > 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
> > > HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
> > > www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
> > >
> > > -----
> > > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/towertalk
> > > Submissions:              towertalk@contesting.com
> > > Administrative requests:  towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com
> > > Problems:                 owner-towertalk@contesting.com
>
> --
> 73,
> Richard Thorne
> Amarillo, TX
> Amateur Radio Station - N5ZC (Ex. KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)
> Remote Control Planes - AMA # N5ZC
> Web Page: http://www.tcac.net/~rthorne/index.html

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us