[TowerTalk] Ginpole for 20 foot sections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ginpole for 20 foot sections
From: n2mg@contesting.com (Mike Gilmer - N2MG)
Date: 13 Jun 2001 10:40:39 -0700
On Wed, 13 June 2001, n4kg@juno.com wrote:

> How is this 2:1 mechanical advantage achieved?
>
> Scenario 1 -  End of rope is attached to the frame
> of the top pulley.  Rope runs down to Second pulley
> with hook at load.  Rope then runs up and through
> the TOP pulley.  Force in each vertical run of the
> rope is 150 lbs.  450 lbs on top hook as proposed.
>
> This is NOT how a gin pole is configured.
>
> In a block and tackle, one end of the pull rope
> is attached to one of the pulleys.  The LOAD is
> attached to one of the end hooks.  Multiple
> pulleys can be mounted co-axially.

Why is this NOT how a gin pole is configured? Even if one ties the fixed end of
the rope to the tower (say when lifting a beam or rotator that need not rise
above the tower top), one has not materially changed the configuration and
still achieves 2:1 with a movable pulley at the load. BTDT.

A discussion that was, until recently, about the total load on a gin pole seems
to have devolved into a semantical discussion of just what constitutes a "block
and tackle" and the acceptable uses of a gin pole.

I've seen the term "block and tackle" used for various combinations of fixed
and movable pulleys (when achieving some mechanical advantage).

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----