[TowerTalk] MFJ 259B analyzer vs Autek?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ 259B analyzer vs Autek?
From: abowen@nettally.com (ABowenN4OO)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:20:34 -0400
At 09:32 AM 6/14/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Anyone have experience with the Autek unit?
>how does it compare to the MFJ analyzer?
>Preferences?
>suggestions?
>Recommendations?
=====================
Like a lot of other things, it depends.

MFJ has a wider frequency range. You can check out your 6M and 2M antennas.
The B model even gives you values of X, although they may not be really
accurate. It is good enough if you are only interested in "ball park"
values. The unit is quicker in that you can find the frequency of resonance
a lot faster. The measurement of the R component may or may not be all that
accurate. The analog meter on mine for example, does not agree with the
digital readout. You have to use a resistor to resolve this if you need to
be really accurate.

Autek gives you slightly better resolution of values, especially R. It is
debatable how accurate these values are, but you can always check things
out with a resistor. Mine seems to be quite close. The values of X are
probably not all that accurate, but hardly anything this side of a General
Radio or Hewlett Packard is all that accurate.

With the Autek, you can also measure values of C and L. That is worth
something. The frequency range is limited to about 34 mhz. You can be a
little more precise with finding the correct length of 1/4 and 1/2
wavelength transmission lines. I use the MFJ to get in the ball park and
the Autek to tweak to the final value.

For designing matching networks for verticals, I use a small universal L
network. I place it at the base, adjust for zero SWR using the MFJ and then
measure the values of L and C with the Autek. It works correctly every time.

The Autek is also useful for checking loss in coax.

Obviously the solution is to own both, as I do. Each has it's own good
features.

If I could only own one, I suppose it would be the MFJ. I would hate giving
up the ability to measure L, C and coax loss, however.

INK N4OO

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----