[TowerTalk] Rotators

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotators
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:13:25 EDT
In a message dated 7/16/01 6:38:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time, aa4lr@arrl.net
writes:

> Is it that the rotator's only function so long -- or do we hams grossly
>  overload them?

    Well, I'd say there's some of that but as far as US rotators go they have
their own set of weaknesses. The CDE/Hy-Gain/MFJ rotators were designed in
the sixties and their problems are well documented; i.e. indicator pot, weak
ring gear, sticky brake, etc.

    Designing an electrical/mechanical contrivance to do what we expect a
rotator to do is challenging. In this new millenium we're likey to see two
new rotators that I'm aware of. Craig at CATS unveiled his at Dayton; it's a
worm gear drive which is the way to go and is supposed to be in the $600
range. Whether it (or the other one that seems to be similar in design and
execution) makes it to market or not is yet to be seen.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----