[TowerTalk] TELREX BALUN

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TELREX BALUN
From: wa3gin@erols.com (David Jordan)
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:02:31 -0400

Hi Folks,

I've been renovating a TB6EM to be used for general listening. The beam
must be at least 30 yrs old. A little wear in the element to boom
connection, etc.

I opened up the balun box to find a prestine piece of TIMES RG8/AU,
about 5-6 turns, close wound. Inside the donut hole which was about 1.25
inches there was a coil of what appeared to be number 12 guage wire.
The coil had about ten turns stacked and was wired across the shield
side of the input to the hot side of the output side of the balun.

I'd like to understand what this little coil is all about?  Was it a few
henry choke simply used to place both of the Telrex dipoles ends at DC
ground and no one bothered to remove the coil when the balun was used on
the beams? The beams use a hair-pin match which effectively did the same
thing with respect to DC ground...

Thoughts direct please.  I'm sure most folks wouldn't be interested in
the answer to this question.

thanks,
dave
wa3gin