[TowerTalk] Good PVC for insulated antenna mounts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Good PVC for insulated antenna mounts
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 08:21:43 -0700
The "official" outer diameter of anything that is 1 1/2 inch
iron pipe size is 1.900 inches.  2 1/8 tubing with .058
wall fits over this with a .0545 inch gap (at least
theoretically).

What I do is use 2 inch irrigation tubing and put it
on the INSIDE of 2 inch PVC sch 40 pipe.  The inner
diameter of this pipe is about 2.060 inches, resulting
in a .030 inch gap.  I then use U-clamps designed
for 2 inch iron pipe size to clamp the PVC to a 4x4
or whatever.

In practice, there are enough irregularities in the
PVC such that you need fairly large gaps like this
to be able to typically slide the pieces together.

Rick N6RK

>I use the gray "rigid" PVC found in any hardware store's plumbing section
for
>mounting my ground mounted verticals on-  I sit the verticals with 2 1/8
>diameter aluminum on the 1 1/2 inch gray PVC stuff that fits in it very
snug-
>(The PVC is marked 1 1/2 inch but is about the same diameter as 2 inch
>aluminum tubing and fits perfectly around the inside of the 2 1/8 inch
>aluminum)
>Paul  N0AH

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----