[TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com (Dinsterdog@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 11:17:22 EDT
When I first got licensed in 1995, I worked a number of low band countries
using ground mounted multiband verticals (cushcraft AP8A and Butternut HV2V)
sitting on compact ground systems consisiting of 60-90 small radials.  My
backyard was in a subdivision consisting of a 50 by 100 foot lots.  I found
that the radial system made the difference- I also used an AEA Isoloop to
work 10-20 meters with good success.  I had very little luck with dipoles and
other wire antennas hanging off the house.  I finally went gangbusters when I
put up a TH3JR tribander on a small crank up tower.

I think the rule of 80/20 applies here.  80 percent of hams have the small
backyard/antenna restriction issues where putting up a tower is tough-.
Maybe more like 90 percent.  While I am very thankful to have the space and
antenna systems of array's and beverages that I have now, the hobby would be
boring if not for the small backyard hams who make up the great majority of
our hobby.

I have to admit that I am much more interested in reading about larger
antenna systems and tower issues on TT, but I would enjoy reading more on
home brewed backyard/apartment antenna systems somewhere, if not for more
here.........and hope that those who have put together decent systems would
not be discouraged from sharing thier notes and questions and acomplishments.

73  Paul  N0AH

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----