[TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 23:23:08 -0400
I was trying to start a thread that brought forth good ideas for those of us
with small lots.   Lets assume that we cannot change our circumstances by
moving as some of you have done.   W8JI is right to point out that too many
wires can cause interaction problems.
Some have told me they have small lots and powerlines on at least one side.
I have underground power, most all my neighbors
have cable so my problems are line noise from feeder lines on the main
street and Telephone RFI.   My wife went away on contest weekends as the
phone range off the hook with telephone problems and she did not like the
abuse.   So I want to list the best antennas
I have had at this QTH.

I had a KLM stack when I moved to my current location in 1980 (6 el 10, 6 el
15, and 5 el 20 KLM Big Sticks).   I switched to a KT 34XA in 1981 after I
nearly lost my tower in a tornado.   The slight fifference in signal was not
worth the worry!   I also wanted to again put up a 40 meter beam as I had
good luck with a 2 el 40 in 1979 (High USA CQ WW) and I had used the Mosley
2 el for 10 years.  I tried a 3 el Create with HB9CV feed but replaced that
with a cushcraft 2 el in 1883 and its the best antenna I have ever had on
40.  I can beat the gang with 4 el KLMs and 3 el Telrex on 29' booms.   I
have 345 countries on 40.

80 meters:  My best antenna only lasted a year.  I used a square dipole
(really a rectangle) with a 58 foot create element as a reflector.
This antenna at 80 feet got me within 1 S unit of K4JPD and got me through
to UA9VH/JTand YB0WR.  Funny thing the antenna loaded very well on 160
although down on Dx from locals with big L's and verticals.   Second best is
a half square broadside N/S.   EM1HO told me I was the loudest USA station
on 75.  K4UEE aslo told me I was the strongest USA from Easter Island and
Juan Fernandez.   Now if I could
swing it around to NE/SW!!!!  I did work Martti from E44DX on the half
square.   Latest antenna that fills in the gap on the Indian Ocean that has
always been hard for me is a Mor-Gain short 80 that is 66 feet long.  I had
it up as a nearly vertical dipole but lost it last summer so I put it up
nearly K8UR style and when D68C called for 4's I was first in line.  I
worked ZS, 5T5, and PY0F on it and it hears better than other
antennas outside of receiving antennas.

160 meter antennas:   Best for short hop (out to 1200 miles) by far was a
160 meter horizontal loop that I loaded with center in wires (capacity
down to WSB *750Khz) by extending the center in wires
to center back wires.  Not bad for a 390 foot loop.  A station in KY told I
was the loudest on 160 in the CQ 160 in the early 90's.  Unfortunately the
loop came down in a winter storm.   Best Dx antenna was a big L with 6
elevated counterpoises that also came down.
Best compromise antenna was the Uni-Hat vertical but I also had 2700 feet of
radials.   I put together a 160 L that was loaded at 92 feet
and was 82 feet vertical but it only lasted one month and I never got to add
more than 2 radials.

I use ny 2 el 40 on 17 meters (I only need 6 countries there).  The antenna
seems to have gain and beats most 3 el WARC beams but not full size 4 or 5
el beams.   The 2 el 40 also works well on 12 but the pattern is a
cloverleaf so its either feast or famine.   K1MM gave me the tip to use it.
I tried a 3 el W2PV (looked great on the modeling program) but it detuned
the KT34XA on 10 and 15 and the W2PV moved up about 1Mhz (to 25.7 rather
than the 24.93 design frequency.   I then switched to a 2 el X beam based on
the W9PNE design with wire backs
that overcome the objections Moxon G6XN had to the design (side radiation).
I also found the wire backs made the X beam almost disappear as interaction
to the KT34XA although its 6.5' below the KT34XA.  The measured pattern on
my field strength is almost the same as the computer model.

Best listening antenna is a K9AY loop (NE/SW only right now).  Second best
was a 170 foot shielded loop made from RG58 coax laid on my roof and draped
over close by trees (See AB0X article in August 1989 CQ).   I also try all
my other antennas for the best single to noise ratio.  That 17 meter X beam
is very good on 80 and 40!

My tower is a 71 foot Tristao Crank up that is 33 years old.   The X beam is
at 71', the KT34XA is at 77', and the 2 el 409 is at 85'.  I had a 2 meter
isopole on top (the tip was at 101') but lightning knocked off the top half.
I have a MFJ 5/8 wave 2 el vertical array ready to replace that.

I have 300 countries on all bands except 160 (166 countries) and 30 meters
which I don't work.   I have plaques from CQ and ARRL for
the CQ 160, ARRL DX, and CQ WW plus a box full of certificates so it does
work.   KI4XO came over and said "how do you do it???"  I'll bet that K6LL
hears the same thing as well as several who replied that live on small lots
like I do.   So keep on trucking and just get better than the competition on
operating skills...

73 Dave K4JRB

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----