[TowerTalk] Weatherproofing for copper coils?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Weatherproofing for copper coils?
From: Mike" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 14:27:25 -0700

Hi Steve,

You might consider building yourself a hi-q parallel resonant tank circuit
that you can put in parallel with a dummy load. This will allow you try
various coatings and compare for self heating of the inductor (set the
Xl such that the circulating current in the tank will he high). Otherwise,
you will need a network analyzer or impedance analyzer capable of making
accurate Q measurements when Q is several hundred or more.

I was going to suggest contacting W6ANR, but the blurb about his
probably already thought of that. As far as coatings go, the military
space folks use polyurethane coatings on circuit boards to protect them.
I have seen people get away with using this stuff on RF boards running up
to a few hundred megahertz, so it might be worth a try. There is also another
material that will allegedly work on microwave PWBs, but I can't remember
the name of it. I have never tried it myself.

Good luck !

Mike, W4EF..........